Thursday, November 6, 2008

Bixi Ranks in TIME's Best Inventions of '08


TIME magazine came out with a list of its 50 Best Inventions of 2008 and Montreal's Public Bike System (aka Bixi) ranked as their 19th best of the year. I won't squabble with TIME for putting it after the New Mars Rover even though fewer people have been to Mars to see the Rover in-action compared with the thousands that saw Bixi during its demonstration period this fall.

With the millions of trips that will be made on Bixi after its launch in April 2009 with 2,400 bikes, the program will prevent tons of carbon dioxide and other pollutants from being released into the atmosphere that would have been emitted by motor vehicles. The program will also create a healthier public by adding exercise into the daily lives of its customers.

Congratulations, Montreal on this much deserved honor.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

u r blog Is very nice

Rob Koch said...

We are following your blog in Chicago, as several of us at DePaul University would like to see a Washington or Montreal-style bike sharing program take root in our city. Please keep us informed, and we will relay updates from our efforts in Chicago.

TAMY EMMA PEPIN said...

Hey,

Really like your blog :-) I'm happy to see other cities in America are being inspired by BIXI. I'm actually from Montreal and am absolutely psyched about it, it lauches in a few days and I can't wait to see the response...

There's a rack just next to my house, I really hope there will be bikes available when I leave for work in the morning, I guess that's my only concern :-)

I actually tried Bixi last week and did a video of my favorite bike routes in the city, Mtl is lucky to have the bike infrastructure for this kind of project because the city is super bike-friendly.

Take a look and let me know what you think. If ever you're planning on visiting the city there's some great info for cycling ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3mZlztEIzY

Best,

Tamy